Remove this ad

vood99

Registered Member

#282 [url]

Jul 12 12 11:20 AM

AKALONGSTROKE wrote:
Catch22 wrote:
From Nike:

Gross margin declined 220 basis points to 43.4 percent, primarily driven by higher product costs, as well as investments in our digital business, an unanticipated customs assessment in an Emerging Markets territory related to imports that occurred during four previous fiscal years, and higher discounts on close-out sales. These factors more than offset the positive effects of price increases, lower air freight costs, growing sales in our Direct to Consumer operations and ongoing product cost reduction initiatives.

Notice the talk about higher costs; the fact that margins were down despite "the positive effects of price increases", "and ongoing product cost reduction initiatives".

The last one is particularly interesting....I wonder what those initiatives are?  Could they be related to your to your perceived drop in quality?

Enough with the numbers...back to the shoes.

http://counterkicks.com/?s=NIke+profits+fall+off+a+cliff&x=25&y=10 

AKA, those earnings are still quite impressive considering the state of  the world economy. I'm wondering which BRIC country slammed them with the import restrictions/tariffs - seems like that did the most damage to them.

Quote    Reply   

#283 [url]

Jul 12 12 11:26 AM

vood99 wrote:
AKALONGSTROKE wrote:
Catch22 wrote:
From Nike:

Gross margin declined 220 basis points to 43.4 percent, primarily driven by higher product costs, as well as investments in our digital business, an unanticipated customs assessment in an Emerging Markets territory related to imports that occurred during four previous fiscal years, and higher discounts on close-out sales. These factors more than offset the positive effects of price increases, lower air freight costs, growing sales in our Direct to Consumer operations and ongoing product cost reduction initiatives.

Notice the talk about higher costs; the fact that margins were down despite "the positive effects of price increases", "and ongoing product cost reduction initiatives".

The last one is particularly interesting....I wonder what those initiatives are?  Could they be related to your to your perceived drop in quality?

Enough with the numbers...back to the shoes.

AKA, those earnings are still quite impressive considering the state of  the world economy. I'm wondering which BRIC country slammed them with the import restrictions/tariffs - seems like that did the most damage to them.

Not quite that impressive, as that is why they had to let go of both Umbro and Cole Haan. Nike realizes that the reputation of the brand is at stake, and that is why Mark Parker released his statement on the re focusing of the brand itself. They are vulnerable right now, but not because of any other company, but from within.

Who is the most famous person at Nike, outside of founder Phil Knight? 

Quote    Reply   

vood99

Registered Member

#284 [url]

Jul 12 12 11:35 AM

AKALONGSTROKE wrote:
vood99 wrote:
AKALONGSTROKE wrote:

Not quite that impressive, as that is why they had to let go of both Umbro and Cole Haan. Nike realizes that the reputation of the brand is at stake, and that is why Mark Parker released his statement on the re focusing of the brand itself. They are vulnerable right now, but not because of any other company, but from within.

I know you're alluding to MJ here, but Bill Bowerman is still well noted.

The problem with Umbro and Cole Haan is that Nike cannibalized the former with its own soccer product and the latter was trying to hustle 'Made in China' product on the same level as Gucci, LV, etc...  I can't front though, I've got some wicked Cole Haan deals at the outlets. If they priced 'em reasonably they would not have to sell it off.

Quote    Reply   

#285 [url]

Jul 12 12 11:48 AM

vood99 wrote:
AKALONGSTROKE wrote:
vood99 wrote:

The problem with Umbro and Cole Haan is that Nike cannibalized the former with its own soccer product and the latter was trying to hustle 'Made in China' product on the same level as Gucci, LV, etc...  I can't front though, I've got some wicked Cole Haan deals at the outlets. If they priced 'em reasonably they would not have to sell it off.

You are right. However, in the luxury footwear market, there was a time that Cole Haan was a smidgen outside of the Allen Edmonds and Alden genre pre Nike. Once Nike got involved, they fell off completely, while trying to compete in that specialized market. I remember when they tried to put zoom air into women's pumps, claiming improvements in foot balance due to that usage, then watching them fail miserably. Outside of the niche market that Nike and Jordan does dominate, Adults who are active do not take Nike seriously. The main reason they sell so well, is that the volume of stuff they produce. They are in bed with certain retailers, so that when you walk in the store, you'll see nothing but Nike, being forced to choose from their stock.

What's really killing Nike, is that they've tried to gain a foothold in the running community, which is filled with adults with MONEY, and they've failed there as well. Sure, some runners wear Nike, but New Balance, Asics, and a few others are looked upon as being far superior.  

Now, imagine what's going to happen if Phil Knight suddenly disappears again...

*sits back with arms folded behind my head*

Quote    Reply   

jcmojica24.niketalk

Registered Member

#289 [url]

Jul 12 12 12:33 PM

AKALONGSTROKE wrote:
jcmojica24 wrote:
AKA has come in here and totally killed this thread. Do us all a favor and....

The worst thing I can hope for you, is that you can actually get a job with Nike.

I'd love a job with Nike! Better than what I am currently doing.

Quote    Reply   

Weather.niketalk

#290 [url]

Jul 12 12 1:34 PM

jcmojica24 wrote:
Ugh, ignorant.

Maybe his first few posts in the thread were iffy, but the last two/three pages have been excellent conversation between everyone, minimal flaming, valid arguments, all good stuff.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

vood99

Registered Member

#291 [url]

Jul 12 12 2:26 PM

Weather wrote:
jcmojica24 wrote:
Ugh, ignorant.

Maybe his first few posts in the thread were iffy, but the last two/three pages have been excellent conversation between everyone, minimal flaming, valid arguments, all good stuff.
jmojica24, do us all a favour and leave please. If you have no commentary to add to this thread, please continue posting away in the 1000+ threads that are pro-bono Nike.

Quote    Reply   

ThorrocksJs.niketalk

Registered Member

#292 [url]

Jul 12 12 2:36 PM

I respect Mike for making Jb and Nike what they are today.The problem at Nike is that they have a slew of cheaply made running shoeson the market thst no serious runner touches .They need to start making distinct running and cross trainers again.Thye use of synthetics and increase in price is gonna drive people away eventually.
Adidas should take a different stance they shouldn't directly compete with Nike in the race for the lightest shoe.They should be creating leather basketball shoes that are equally technical and fly.Adidas has always been this older flyer and more lifestyle brand.Due to its connections with Hip Hop,the high quality made in France and Italy basketbal sneakers of lore.They need to reinforce their heritage and create Adiroses that combine that history and style aesthetics with D.Rose.If they do then they would create a new gen of classics.

Quote    Reply   

vood99

Registered Member

#293 [url]

Jul 12 12 2:54 PM

AKALONGSTROKE wrote:
vood99 wrote:
AKALONGSTROKE wrote:

You are right. However, in the luxury footwear market, there was a time that Cole Haan was a smidgen outside of the Allen Edmonds and Alden genre pre Nike. Once Nike got involved, they fell off completely, while trying to compete in that specialized market. I remember when they tried to put zoom air into women's pumps, claiming improvements in foot balance due to that usage, then watching them fail miserably. Outside of the niche market that Nike and Jordan does dominate, Adults who are active do not take Nike seriously. The main reason they sell so well, is that the volume of stuff they produce. They are in bed with certain retailers, so that when you walk in the store, you'll see nothing but Nike, being forced to choose from their stock.

What's really killing Nike, is that they've tried to gain a foothold in the running community, which is filled with adults with MONEY, and they've failed there as well. Sure, some runners wear Nike, but New Balance, Asics, and a few others are looked upon as being far superior.  

I agree with you on the over-engineering of basic shoes like women's pumps and air units in dress shoes just to warrant high prices. I'll be sad to see Cole Haan go the way of the dodo though.

Some of Nike's fundamental running shoes are OK - Pegasus, Structure Triax. It's the gimmicky, over-priced models that leave a bad taste with people.

You think Phil Knight's return had an impact on their growth in the last few years?       

Quote    Reply   

vood99

Registered Member

#294 [url]

Jul 12 12 3:05 PM

ThorrocksJs wrote:
I respect Mike for making Jb and Nike what they are today.The problem at Nike is that they have a slew of cheaply made running shoeson the market thst no serious runner touches .They need to start making distinct running and cross trainers again.Thye use of synthetics and increase in price is gonna drive people away eventually.
Adidas should take a different stance they shouldn't directly compete with Nike in the race for the lightest shoe.They should be creating leather basketball shoes that are equally technical and fly.Adidas has always been this older flyer and more lifestyle brand.Due to its connections with Hip Hop,the high quality made in France and Italy basketbal sneakers of lore.They need to reinforce their heritage and create Adiroses that combine that history and style aesthetics with D.Rose.If they do then they would create a new gen of classics.
Great post my man and I share your same thoughts re: Adidas. They have a chance to capture some share from Nike by going a different route instead they are going head to toe with the whole lightweight, synthetic shoe, nonsense. This was why I asked Rock/Dealer if the factories in China are swaying both Nike & Adidas to run the plastics as they might be cheaper (at their end). Adidas also needs to drop that Jeremy Scott clown from their design labs. I dunno what sort of role he plays in the fashion world but to the average consumer, teddy bears, wings and bones have no business being on ADULT's shoes. I dislike Kanye and the Yeezy but at least he understands the sneaker/hip hop culture balance and his shoe - although highly derivative, can be worn without looking like a clown.

Quote    Reply   

ThorrocksJs.niketalk

Registered Member

#295 [url]

Jul 12 12 4:56 PM

Jeremy Scott has severly hurt Adidas.Adidas should be focused on two things right now reforming its basketball line and continuing to produce quality originals.Jeremy Scott hurts this because he wastes alot of materials and time in the rnd department that great designers could be using.I can deal with KZK because he creates niche products in small numbers and the james bond for david beckham line because it pays homage to the values of Adidas sport culture. Jeremy scott is essentially making payless childrens shoes and slippers for adults.This is not what adidas stands for and isnt apart of its heritate.

Look at Hiroshi Fujiwara and his fragment and HTM creations .He is creating products that represent his subtle style while incorporating the history and tradition of Nike.I would love for adidas to do that with a person like Ronnie Fieg,Kazuki Kurashi .It would add a much needed edge to their products. Adidas has the facilities to create amazing products and has the power and history to draw in customers.

Nike or Adidas needs to bring Bobbito Garcia on board and have him in the innovation kitchen teaching these guys about the shoes and the culture of basketball.

I would love for blacktop sneakers to make a comeback but the current indoor super athlete initiative of the big brands wouldn't allow it to happen.

I hope Nike does a series with Anderson Silva a cross trainer pack with him would be amazing he is one of the most famous MMA fighters of all time and one of the greatest and he comes from one of the legendary camps of MMA and he is from a country with a rich history in Martial Arts.It would be amazing to see a Gyakshou style pack with Anderson Silva ,Tinker and Matt Parker working together

Quote    Reply   

NikeDealer.niketalk

Registered Member

#296 [url]

Jul 12 12 6:36 PM

Thorrocks.... I was with you right up until bringin Bobbito to the Kitchen...lol.. while he apart of hip hop and its history... he can not impart performance... but if Nike had an Originals dept.. he would be the one... For real.

As for AKA's part on this discussion... as odd as it sounds to many... I've appreciated it. You can only ask so many questions and hopefully CWKs thought was for discussion to go far beyond that of asking a former employee how to get a job or insight on the company.

There are many aspects to Nike and its always good in ANY convo to have differing opinions or it appears all one sided and eventually a love fest. As much as Ive said Im brand loyal.. I know I wouldn't pay for half the stuff I got if it weren't free. Knowing how much it costs and all that.

As far as materials being a higher cost and manufacturing prices going up. Lets not be fooled. It aint going up that much because competition in Asia is at an ALL TIME HIGH.. and if ONE factory doesn't make it for what you need another will.

I dont think anyone pushed Plastics on Nike.. Nikes Fabric Design folks realized they had a profit margin there that could not be ignored.

I actually like the question posed: Would putting Nike Air on an inferior product make you purchase it any quicker or ignore the quality...

That alone could be its own thread and Im sure the answers would be startling.

Touching on the running dept for Nike.. trust me when I say they are FAR more interested in the running looks than performance. When I first heard no one in running some years back had EVER been a runner.. I was like damn. Really? I know you dont have to play basketball to design a great LOOKING shoe.. BUT if you did it may help you design a GREAT PERFORMING shoe.

I.E. Dwayne Edwards was OFT criticized for his Jordan kicks not looking like Jordans.....but if you EVER put your foot into ANY of his shoes it was like heaven on the feet. Dwayne Played at the same High School as Paul Pierce (before him) and still plays to this day at a high level... He understood what a Basketball Player needed in a shoe.

It would help to have a runner not just a runners feedback when designing a shoe. My opinion only.

Quote    Reply   

JordanPP30

Registered Member

#297 [url]

Jul 12 12 8:51 PM

CWK or Rock..

Either one of you know Damion? Was introduced today, will be the main Nike person I will be around this weekend. Although, this Nike WBF will be PACKED of important people.

Also, how do employees named "EKIN" get a position? and what is their job.

Quote    Reply   

#298 [url]

Jul 12 12 8:57 PM

jcmojica24 wrote:
AKALONGSTROKE wrote:
jcmojica24 wrote:

The worst thing I can hope for you, is that you can actually get a job with Nike.

I'd love a job with Nike! Better than what I am currently doing.
Well then, that explains a lot!

Quote    Reply   

#299 [url]

Jul 12 12 9:24 PM

vood99 wrote:
AKALONGSTROKE wrote:
vood99 wrote:

I agree with you on the over-engineering of basic shoes like women's pumps and air units in dress shoes just to warrant high prices. I'll be sad to see Cole Haan go the way of the dodo though.

Some of Nike's fundamental running shoes are OK - Pegasus, Structure Triax. It's the gimmicky, over-priced models that leave a bad taste with people.

You think Phil Knight's return had an impact on their growth in the last few years?       
Oh, there is no doubt about it. While on the sidelines and the other dude took over, Adidas started going all in. They bought Reebok, took over the NBA uniforms, started really making waves that Nike didn't see coming. The new guy in charge wanted to play fair, unlike the old Nike that we were used to with their advertising campaigns. Under new guy, all of a sudden, Nike started making good basketball shoes again like the Zoom BB line, those not of the pocket emptying experience, the LeBron III was made at this time as well. The quality of Nike Basketball shoes suddenly became a more bang for your buck type of experience!

What happened?

All hell broke loose in Beaverton, and they got rid of the fair minded guy. He wasn't a dig dirt, kick dirt, think nasty kind of guy.

I suppose they looked at the future, saw the comp rising, then had to do something to separate themselves from the pack again.

In other words, they panicked.

Now they've divested from Cole Haan and Umbro.

Quote    Reply   

ThorrocksJs.niketalk

Registered Member

#300 [url]

Jul 12 12 10:31 PM

Nike wasted umbro and cole haan sadly.The lunar soled shoes were interesting stuff but it was just a fancy ripoff of the Mark Mcnairy shoes that are being copied anywhere.Nike is also wasting the converse line completely converse should be doing way better than this .They should have retroed the olympic models Maguc and Bird wore.I agree rock Bobbito might not be the best guy to oversee or have direct input in the design recess but he would do great working with the older bball kicks like the dunk,terminator,af1,legend,dynasty etc.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help