Remove this ad

avatar

NikeDealer.niketalk

Registered Member

Posts: 1,203

#241 [url]

Jul 11 12 8:09 AM

Nah... I knew it would be taken the wrong way.. lol... I am always taken the wrong way even on my show when I bring up something even remotely regarding race.

No.. when I said if Mike were to employ some WHITE at the top of his Jordan Empire.. I didnt mean just ANYONE white... I meant someone NOT EVER employed by him or a College or long time friend. Yes of course its always good to have someone you are familiar with assisting you or actually running your OTHER biz.

Do I think Larry is incompetent? Not at all... but he's had his run and it's VERY well known Larry and others are Mike's boys and will always have a job. I say if you want to shake things up you hire someone OUTSIDE your inner circle to get things done.

Hiring someone white was merely an example of that.. nothing to do with who's smarter than who... I'd be knocking my own people with that comment. I guess you'd have to realize it's just what Mike does and alot of people who are Black owners that choose to stay in the mind frame Im ONLY going to hire Blacks to run my company.

Well.. I think thats narrow minded thinking in todays world because Black people would be furious if white folks (nix that) ALL white folks thought that. There are MANY MANY MANY successful black folks running LARGE non Black corporations. In todays age it should be about hiring the BEST qualified Black White or otherwise.

THAT and THAT ALONE was my point. I could have said if Mike hired an Asian or Latino I'd know he was serious as well... but it was my point to make lol.. so I chose white.

Also.. just because you are aiming at Black kids to sell your wares doesn't mean you cant have those who relate to them working in your company. One of the things I dont think happens enough at Nike is listening to the demo that WORKS at your company who can help you SELL to their own people.


Is anyone aware that at one time and may still take place there was a Black employee of the Month at Nike...? I mean ... you can say thats great and all... but I never heard of their being a Indian, Latin or other cultural employee of the month. Some may say thats great... but personally I dont want to be regarded as the best Black employee.. I'd rather be the best overall employee.

Im pro my people....but Im of the mindset that some things can actually hold us back from progressing.... but thats just me. Can you imagine if there were a white employee of the month? lolol... Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would be marching on Beaverton as we speak.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#242 [url]

Jul 11 12 9:04 AM

NikeDealer wrote:
Nah... I knew it would be taken the wrong way.. lol... I am always taken the wrong way even on my show when I bring up something even remotely regarding race.

No.. when I said if Mike were to employ some WHITE at the top of his Jordan Empire.. I didnt mean just ANYONE white... I meant someone NOT EVER employed by him or a College or long time friend. Yes of course its always good to have someone you are familiar with assisting you or actually running your OTHER biz.

Do I think Larry is incompetent? Not at all... but he's had his run and it's VERY well known Larry and others are Mike's boys and will always have a job. I say if you want to shake things up you hire someone OUTSIDE your inner circle to get things done.

Hiring someone white was merely an example of that.. nothing to do with who's smarter than who... I'd be knocking my own people with that comment. I guess you'd have to realize it's just what Mike does and alot of people who are Black owners that choose to stay in the mind frame Im ONLY going to hire Blacks to run my company.

Well.. I think thats narrow minded thinking in todays world because Black people would be furious if white folks (nix that) ALL white folks thought that. There are MANY MANY MANY successful black folks running LARGE non Black corporations. In todays age it should be about hiring the BEST qualified Black White or otherwise.

THAT and THAT ALONE was my point. I could have said if Mike hired an Asian or Latino I'd know he was serious as well... but it was my point to make lol.. so I chose white.

Also.. just because you are aiming at Black kids to sell your wares doesn't mean you cant have those who relate to them working in your company. One of the things I dont think happens enough at Nike is listening to the demo that WORKS at your company who can help you SELL to their own people.


Is anyone aware that at one time and may still take place there was a Black employee of the Month at Nike...? I mean ... you can say thats great and all... but I never heard of their being a Indian, Latin or other cultural employee of the month. Some may say thats great... but personally I dont want to be regarded as the best Black employee.. I'd rather be the best overall employee.

Im pro my people....but Im of the mindset that some things can actually hold us back from progressing.... but thats just me. Can you imagine if there were a white employee of the month? lolol... Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would be marching on Beaverton as we speak.

You are venturing into a discussion in which you may not be qualified to partake. This is not an insult to you, and it is your right to say it, but some of the opinions you've shared are filled with so many holes, it shows that you haven't done enough research in order to support what it is that you are attempting to suggest.

True, the Black Employee Of The Month title was an incredible insult, but so is the Black History Month shoe line. It's stooping to conquer, pandering, and not surprising coming from a company like Nike. I mentioned this during the Jordan XI debacle. You could not get that shoe in Greenwich, Connecticut, as they didn't even sell it within a forty mile radius. There'd be no camping out in Greenwich if they did sell it either, where you'd be ticketed for loitering, then told to move on. The shoe stores in Greenwich don't even have Jordan Brand accounts, and there are several! Their JB accounts were pulled by Nike about ten years ago.  

But you could have gotten the XI in Harlem, NYC, Brooklyn NY, Queens, NY, then Stamford, CT, with some getting harmed, or even arrested over them. 

However, I can get the Federers Zoom Vapor 9 shoe in places like Greenwich, with no problem.

So again, I dig what Jordan is doing, which is what LeBron is attempting to do as well with Maverick Carter and the crew. The areas that they've ascended to are often filled with people who do not look like them. Those people who are there, didn't get there by accident. Jordan wants to own himself, he does not want to be anyone's boy or slave, jumping through hoops in order to impress those who think that's what he is supposed to do. If he can get a few people who share his hue into and through the doors of power, those who are qualified and capable, more power to him.

I mean really, if that idiot Jason Petrie can be a big time designer with Nike, all while drawing cheap 300 dollar shoes, those not directed toward those who live in Greenwich, I am certain that there are others who can do better, then won't be stupid enough to go on twitter spouting anecdotal evidence, like some little punk hiding behind a protective apron. 

At the end of the day, you can tell who is sitting in that big corporate swoosh room when some of these decisions are being made.

  


  


Last Edited By: AKALONGSTROKE Jul 11 12 9:07 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

NikeDealer.niketalk

Registered Member

Posts: 1,203

#243 [url]

Jul 11 12 9:44 AM

See I agree with everything you said other than:

"You are venturing into a discussion in which you may not be qualified to partake." lol... Having been around many discussions folks at Nike and around the Wizards Organization as wel as my ex working for MJ and Fred... Im pretty qualified to speak on what they've done.

Also... I know you have an issue with Petrie but he really is a cool dude.

Also.. Im def in agreeance (is that a word) that Bron is doing the same thing with Mav... but the difference is Mav actually did an internship with Lynn Merrit to learn the business and Randy actually makes yearly trips to Campus to be involved with the process so they know whats going on business wise. Not saying that Larry doesnt know the business at all.. cause he and all the heads at Jordan do...

To use your point of Lebron and Mav... Mav is much younger and open to change and adjusting how he handles Lebrons business and business affairs... as well as seeing its pretty silly to keep certain colorways from Consumers.

As you know its good to get fresher newer ideas from those closer to the market as well as being a consumer themselves. Larry hasn't been a consumer in a LONG time nor apart of that demo they intend on reaching.

Also.. you do know part of my Consulting biz is working with not only Sports Marketing companies but product and brand marketing. Its my JOB to know how to connect to the consumer on these levels...but that was all I was saying.

When it comes to the BHM kicks Nike attempted to do ... I think its more of them doing an ode to History as well as the Nike Air Force Line has themes and SB's have themes... Lord knows they go about stuff the wrong way i.e. Bron IIs and offending Asians with him battling Dragons.. but they are like "The Well Meaning Man"

You do all you can do to do right.. but mess up along the way.

Quote    Reply   

#244 [url]

Jul 11 12 10:01 AM

I was speaking in regard to your opinion on race and perception, not your knowledge in the footwear industry.


The example of Jason Petrie shows how some people feel that they are entitled to make certain opinions public, once they reach certain positions of power.

You are with me, or you are against me. 

The people around Jordan know not to say anything as stupid as what Petrie stated, as it will reflect badly upon Jordan. Jordan can say it, but not the people who work for him.
  

Last Edited By: AKALONGSTROKE Jul 11 12 10:16 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

NikeDealer.niketalk

Registered Member

Posts: 1,203

#245 [url]

Jul 11 12 10:21 AM

lol... Wait.. I cant speak on race being black? How can I be anymore qualified?


As for the Petrie comment.. agreed... it was a mistake.. and I often tell people... we can not ALL be so critical knowing we all have made mistakes in our past.

I reference Jay Mariotti as example #1. Always criticizing athletes and how they shouldnt do this and that... and what happens to J.M. arrested for hitting his girlfriend. Where is HE now?

Lord knows I speak out of turn on ALOT of things in life... I try to stay unfiltered...but what Petrie said publicly isn't like what many didnt think.

Personally when it comes to the Adi vs Nike competition Adi won hands down on their Adi light vs the Hyperfuse designs. I think Adi took the concept of hyperfuse OR created their own and made the design elements ten times better.

I just hope both companies do something better to make these lighter designed shoes much more stable.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

finnns2003

Registered Member

Posts: 22,815

#246 [url]

Jul 11 12 11:05 AM

AKALONGSTROKE wrote:
Micheal Jordan is one hundred percent, absolutely, positively, correct in his position regarding Jordan Brand, on the issue of Nike appearing on the back of his shoes. Let's be clear here, Jordan SAVED Nike, not the other way around.

Jumpman > Nike, in regard to the business of business.

It's really not that big of a deal, and you overanalyzed it as usual. The shoes, retroed properly, should have NIKE AIR on the back just as they did in '99. Not allowing it on any of the III-VI retro's is arrogance and bitterness that we all are accustomed to with MJ. He should think about the collectors a little more. Not like we're even getting anything remotely close to the quality of the OG's or 90's retro's.

Quote    Reply   

#247 [url]

Jul 11 12 11:40 AM

NikeDealer wrote:
lol... Wait.. I cant speak on race being black? How can I be anymore qualified?


As for the Petrie comment.. agreed... it was a mistake.. and I often tell people... we can not ALL be so critical knowing we all have made mistakes in our past.

I reference Jay Mariotti as example #1. Always criticizing athletes and how they shouldnt do this and that... and what happens to J.M. arrested for hitting his girlfriend. Where is HE now?

Lord knows I speak out of turn on ALOT of things in life... I try to stay unfiltered...but what Petrie said publicly isn't like what many didnt think.

Personally when it comes to the Adi vs Nike competition Adi won hands down on their Adi light vs the Hyperfuse designs. I think Adi took the concept of hyperfuse OR created their own and made the design elements ten times better.

I just hope both companies do something better to make these lighter designed shoes much more stable.

Everyone has a right in America to speak on anything they wish, regardless of race. However, if one wishes to come off being informed in debate, regardless of topic, one should at least do a bit of research, finding facts in order to support their claims. Being of African descent does not make one an expert on the Black experience in America, nor around the world. Each experience is indeed different socially and politically, whether you are from America, Haiti, Africa, Latin America, or even in the northern or southern parts of America.

The reason I dig Adidas, outside of high quality product, lies in the fact that they reached out to the Black athlete, when is was dangerous to do so. Jesse Owens, Ali, Russell, Kareem, this was at a time that there was no marketing toward any specific community, other than the athlete. Each one of these athletes were controversial in their own right, but with Owens, Russ and Ali, their time in the spotlight was during an era of segregation and overt racist practices. Their affiliation with Adidas back then was groundbreaking. 

They were, and are, my heroes.

Am I happy that Adidas made a lighter and more durable product than Nike? Personally, I don't care. I never asked for a light product, but someone did, and Adidas delivered. 








 


Quote    Reply   

#248 [url]

Jul 11 12 11:47 AM

finnns2003 wrote:
AKALONGSTROKE wrote:
Micheal Jordan is one hundred percent, absolutely, positively, correct in his position regarding Jordan Brand, on the issue of Nike appearing on the back of his shoes. Let's be clear here, Jordan SAVED Nike, not the other way around.

Jumpman > Nike, in regard to the business of business.

It's really not that big of a deal, and you overanalyzed it as usual. The shoes, retroed properly, should have NIKE AIR on the back just as they did in '99. Not allowing it on any of the III-VI retro's is arrogance and bitterness that we all are accustomed to with MJ. He should think about the collectors a little more. Not like we're even getting anything remotely close to the quality of the OG's or 90's retro's.

Wrong. 

Call it being informed. 

You call it arrogance and bitterness, but what does someone with Jordan's accomplishments, have to be bitter about?

If having the chance, you don't think that Nike would love to screw him, even though he is mostly responsible for Nike having the profile that they enjoy?

Also, do you really, really think that Micheal Jordan is only relevant to collectors?

This is the bubble that collectors and sneakerheads live in, and I find it comical. Have you looked at the sales reports lately?

You are wrong, deal with it.  



Quote    Reply   
avatar

NikeDealer.niketalk

Registered Member

Posts: 1,203

#249 [url]

Jul 11 12 12:13 PM

Its weird that Im actually agreeing with you on alot lately bruh but you are right.. but to the point of doing research and the like on Blacks in Power... I did speak from a place of knowledge,,,, but mostly when I speak on here.. I speak from MY knowledge, experience and of course opinion interjected only as such but never as fact as I know many people love to do.


Finns.. on the subject of bitterness with MJ.. oddly enough I do agree with AKA.. only because the collectors and sneakerheads are only a segment of the shoe buying population.

When you see a limited release its aimed at Sneakerheads.. when you see General Releases treated like limited releases they are aimed at The Revenue Jordan Brand seeks.

I too have a business with a partner in radio and television but also work to brand the ROCKDEEP MEDIA name as much as possible. Why? It was around before the Kevin and Rock Brand... and the Kevin and Rock Brand helped push ROCKDEEP MEDIA in a way... but to me its important to keep MY OWN Branding out front for my Business Purposes which I made sure to link to my original Marketing and Consulting Business.. ie. the same Fonts and logo types.

For Mike.. he built what he has.. obviously with help.... but on HIS name. I cant knock him for wanting HIS logo Nike made of HIS image on all he has his name on.... If you look at it its selfish for us to want anything else..

Would I like Nike Air on some stuff? Yup.. do i lose sleep over it? nope.. I try to look at things not only from a Sneaker Enthusiast but a Business man.

AKA.. say something crazy so I dont agree with you.. lolol.. This is too odd lololol

Quote    Reply   

#250 [url]

Jul 11 12 12:33 PM

NikeDealer wrote:
AKA.. say something crazy so I dont agree with you.. lolol.. This is too odd lololol
I've been saying the same thing for YEARS.

It's only that now, Nike is increasing the pricing for stuff that I've always found to be mediocre, and then is finally pissing the rest of you off.

Sneakerheads have this strange deal as to where they think that their kicks, are going to somehow get them laid. I've read, and then heard them say this.

Now that Nike is taking most of their money, they are not going to have enough left over, in order to really trick with. 

'simpin' ain't easy....smiley: laugh

  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
avatar

finnns2003

Registered Member

Posts: 22,815

#251 [url]

Jul 11 12 12:46 PM

AKALONGSTROKE wrote:


You are wrong, deal with it.  



Boy, please. Your opinion is not fact.

You don't think a Nike AIR True Blue III would be the most hyped up release EVER?! These things would be more hyped than Galaxy Foams. From a sales standpoint, a limited release with NIKE AIR on the back would kill any Jumpman III release.

As for his brand, and branding, it's stupid. The I's still come with swooshes on the side, as do the II's. I'm not even saying release all the retro's with it, but it would not kill anyone to put it on one shoe. I will not hear the "you're wrong" garbage on opinion. If MJ said that, then whatever. But don't act like there's solid reasoning. There isn't. Just like there's not solid reasoning to change colors slightly from OG's.

Quote    Reply   

#253 [url]

Jul 11 12 1:19 PM

finnns2003 wrote:
AKALONGSTROKE wrote:


You are wrong, deal with it.  



Boy, please. Your opinion is not fact.

You don't think a Nike AIR True Blue III would be the most hyped up release EVER?! These things would be more hyped than Galaxy Foams. From a sales standpoint, a limited release with NIKE AIR on the back would kill any Jumpman III release.

As for his brand, and branding, it's stupid. The I's still come with swooshes on the side, as do the II's. I'm not even saying release all the retro's with it, but it would not kill anyone to put it on one shoe. I will not hear the "you're wrong" garbage on opinion. If MJ said that, then whatever. But don't act like there's solid reasoning. There isn't. Just like there's not solid reasoning to change colors slightly from OG's.

Good luck with that way of using logic and reason.



Quote    Reply   
avatar

NikeDealer.niketalk

Registered Member

Posts: 1,203

#254 [url]

Jul 11 12 2:01 PM

AKA... the thing is that I believe you wouldn't argue from a business standpoint.

If Nike can get away with it, they will.

Case in point. You look at Older Lebrons all along the line on ebay and they have maintained a VERY VERY high resell price.

As some already know... if folks are prepared to pay on the resell market upwards of $300 dollars why wouldn't Nike test that market?

They did it before as I mentioned with the AF25 and other kicks... but imagine if they actually sold the Yeezy for $500 and the Galaxys for $500... would they still sell the same way?

Its this test they are doing on the "Elite" models which aren't all that elite which will put them in a direction MANY hope it doesnt end up in. Would I do it? Yeah in some instances of an instant sell out..

But for EVERY shoe across the line its crazy.. they are def. losing Loyal Nike folks to that action.

Finn we can agree to disagree my man.... but when you say yes... would Nike Air be a sell out and would it be hype you are speaking on a Limited Level and Release again. Jordan knows he can build hype on the Jordan Logo on the back and make that same money. if thats the case.... why infringe on his own brand by putting Nike Air back on it?

You are right... The One does have the SWOOSH..... but thats basically the integrity of the entire shoe lol.. You remove that and you have what everyone else has replicated in secondary shoe brands... much like the AF1.

For me it makes total sense... would I appease Sneaker Heads?? yeah because Im one... but if Im MJ.. I understand his stance.. Something difficult to do... understood.. but his business decision none the less bruh.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

NikeDealer.niketalk

Registered Member

Posts: 1,203

#255 [url]

Jul 11 12 2:24 PM

Finns.. I forgot add this which I think is something some folks who are sneaker guys dont understand truly.

When one claims to be a TRUE sneaker head OR even better yet COLLECTOR.. it means they are willing to do almost anything but also pay a high premium to get a shoe they really want.

If Jordan wanted.. they could charge $500 for EXACT replicas of OG releases and no one should balk.... why? Because you are a sneaker collector. if you EVVVVER hear Nike or the like say they are thinking of the Collectors when it comes to something... you would be the fool to believe it.

Nike cares about the true collector paying that high price for a rare shoe to be released.... not a shoe released for the same price looking exactly the same as it did years ago. A true collector wouldn't need to buy another replica if the true type came out year after year.

If you want to get REALLY techinical.. a TRUE collector wants no part of a Replica or Remake they not only want the original.. they want the person pair who wore them. Just a few things to think about when it comes to mixing the business aspect with the Sneaker Perspective.

Quote    Reply   

#256 [url]

Jul 11 12 7:23 PM

NikeDealer wrote:
Finns.. I forgot add this which I think is something some folks who are sneaker guys dont understand truly.

Do not try and penetrate the bubble, they do not, and then will not ever understand. It's like the Right Wing Republicans, the Tea Party, and President Obama's birth certificate. 

Quote    Reply   
avatar

jst628.niketalk

Registered Member

Posts: 2,006

#259 [url]

Jul 11 12 8:51 PM

can the Adidas guy leave the thread? all your doing is ruining it, quite immaturely because you think Adicrap is superior, but look what site you're on, this isn't AdidasTalk... hope i'm qualified enough to state my opinion

anyways, i have a question i hope somebody can shed some light on... how long does Nike expect to continue raising prices $10-20 each and every year? at some point the prices will be absolutely ridiculous for a basic shoe... i understand it for the signature basketball lines and JB line because "sneakerheads" continue to pay the steep prices (all hype), but the basic consumer (or "non-sneakerhead") at some point will stop giving their money to Nike and buy a just as basic shoe for much, much less. for example, the technology hasn't changed a bit with the Nike Frees, yet they now retail for $100 or $105, but retailed at $85 just a couple years back... the basketball technology is coming farther and farther, but many of the other shoes Nike brings out are not, yet the prices continue to raise $10 a year.

Quote    Reply   

#260 [url]

Jul 11 12 8:58 PM

Heshua wrote:
Agassi and some other athletes helped to save nike. Not just Jordan. The amount of !!$ kissing that loser MJ gets is insane.

 Must be a frustrated Kobe fan.

Wrong again. Without Jordan, they would not have been able to SIGN anyone else. Jordan signed in '84. Agassi didn't sign until '88.

Now I don't idolize Jordan or Nike, but if he is a loser, what is your definition of a winner?

 
 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help