Remove this ad

TheFundamental

Lead

Jul 11 07 10:19 PM

Tags : :

I have a sinking feeling this threads gonna get buried, but man, i got love for filas.

outside of the f13s, i was interested in what other offerings the company has now...

and im very disappointed that, outside of the marginally popular f-13s, FILA is selling crap now. i miss the 90s and the grant hill kicks, the poofy designs that defined that decade for me...

what happened to FILA, guys?

Remove this ad
Remove this ad

kash55

Registered Member

#1 [url]

Jul 11 07 11:02 PM

The FILA discussion thread

man when I was like 13 or so, FILA was #1 in my books...they were sweet, not to mention GHill for them! and Barry Bonds too!

That's my word

-=Team RealTalk=-

STORM RYDER

Registered Member

#2 [url]

Jul 12 07 4:45 AM

Fila was on the right track.
After their big run from '95 to around '99 Fila's popularity dropped off significantly. GH's shoes got boring, and his injuries didnt help either.

2003 time (around the time they had Jason Petrie) they were really focusing on their lifestyle offerings not only in footwear but apparel as well. The whole "SPORT.LIFE" campaign and their "heritage collection" was, IMO, a great direction for Fila. With Mr. Petrie piloting their performance basketball, they were on the right track. They had the Ferarri contract, Ducati contract, and had a ton of talent in their athletic roster (mostly tennis players) including Barry Bonds.

But when Jason left, it seemed like Fila wanted to go in a different direction. I've always thoght the strength of Fila has been their lifestyle clothing and footwear, but Fila decided to focus more on performance running. Fila hired a designer from Mizuno that put Mizuno on the performance running map. Fila would introduce a new running line that included shoes such as Flow Sanctuary, Flow Reckoning, Flow Providence, Flow Testament, Flow 6 and Racer 6. Fila also introduced new technologies such as Fila flow (an integrated midfoot plate that provides cooling as well as support) and SuperAction (very similar to Adiprene+). Eventhough their shoes have been given good reviews by Runners World magazine, there is SO much competition in the performance running market and you have to wonder how long they can last.

Now with a very limited selection of lifestyle/vintage offerings Fila has been OD'ing on F-13 colorways. Once the F-13 dies out, what is Fila going to do. Fila is totally out of the "performance" basketball market too. Funny thing is, Fila was EXCITED when their contract with Grant Hill expired. After seasons of injuries and surguries Grant Hill made a great comeback in 2004-2005 in which he was voted as a starter in the All-Star Game and played in 67 games. It would have been a great for Fila to have Grant for that extra year. Grant Hill's next Fila shoe was SICK and was supposed to be called "The Wire". I've seen renderings and have tried to get my hands on samples without luck (if anyone's got a pic, please share).

Fila Canada's operations have folded along with their 2 concept stores. Fila's global operations have since been sold to Fila Korea. Things don't seem like they're going well for Fila at all.

TheFundamental

#3 [url]

Jul 24 07 3:02 PM

something i found while perusing Core 77, evidently they did a collab with filas classic tennis, the blufom shoe.

300 pairs made and individually numbered in italy, 95$ a piece. dunno about pics because it's a flash app and all, but they got some interesting things going on.

www.core77.com/blufom/

irocmcgradys

#5 [url]

Jul 24 07 10:24 PM

Re: The FILA discussion thread

i miss the leather basketball shoes they made in black like a few years ago, those were nice

CLsmooth71

Registered Member

#7 [url]

Jul 25 07 4:26 AM

the OG Fila trainers (like Reebok's Exo-fit & Classic mid & Low) were dope.

i rocked em on the regular in between OG J's back in the day.

"The expectation we have for Air Jordans is for the MICHAEL JORDAN of basketball shoes.
Lately we've been getting the Derrick Coleman of basketball shoes: bloated, overhyped, overpaid, & underwhelming." --Truth spoken by NT's own "Iron Lung"

For $ALE: ~Deadstock/Brand NEW~ NIKES+JORDAN Retros Sz 9.5-10 in The Bay

Archeever

Registered Member

#9 [url]

Jul 26 07 4:27 AM

I know they are still in the tennis market. They make some nice performing tennis shoes.

Registered Member

#10 [url]

Jul 26 07 9:53 AM

True.

Fila was where it was at back in '95, G. HIll, Stackhouse and the "All I Need" video by Method Man rockin' the G. Hill.

One shoe I had back in '92 was the Fila FX100 Hi in black/white. Those were sweet.

I rocked my retro Fila Hill just yesterday. Very good memories.

Peace
F Sharp005

Remove this ad

Super Producer J

Registered Member

#11 [url]

Jul 27 07 1:10 AM

The first shoe that I fell in love with (that started this downward financial spiral I'm in right now) was the G Hill II (white/patent blue). I been looking for a piar my size forever, and I always see the same damn pairs on eBay.

Does anyone have any info. on their plans? Retro? I recently bought the G Hill I, both black and white/blue, and the Spaghetti mids (both). But my grail of all grails, what got me started, no Jordan, no Air Max, no NIKE, was the G Hill II! Best believe if they get retroed, I'd get them every chance I could to ensure myself a few pairs for the rest of my life.

No one here got that inside Fila info.?

Starbury is headed to Italy in a few. Now we need a more youthier PG.

Real Recognize Real x TEAM [Scrubs]

CLsmooth71

Registered Member

#12 [url]

Jul 27 07 3:52 AM

SPJ, if you woulda caught me about 6 years ago, you woulda got a once worn pair of GH II's FOR FREE. lol i dumped those, along w/like 5-6 other "VNDS" kicks that i didn't keep boxes for (OG Air Force Max "Barkleys aka Fab 5's" wh/blk/purple that were a 1/2 size big & only worn once too), in an old duffle bag and set em out on the curb when i was moving. even if i had kept the box, i woulda chucked those. no dis, but i just wasn't a fan of the GH II's......just bought em on an impulse buy at Costco.

anyways, i have no "Inside Fila info," but, imo, i really wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any of the GH's to retro anytime soon. again, i dig the OG Fila trainers+court shoes, but all the ones they did bring back have been sitting on the shelves and hitting deep, deep clearance racks. unfortunately, not too many young bucks nowadays seem like they're real interested in trying to see Filas. i've been hearing Filas are kinda popular in the South, but those cats always do things "a lil differently" anyways. :lol

"The expectation we have for Air Jordans is for the MICHAEL JORDAN of basketball shoes.
Lately we've been getting the Derrick Coleman of basketball shoes: bloated, overhyped, overpaid, & underwhelming." --Truth spoken by NT's own "Iron Lung"

Da Future Nike Rep

Registered Member

#13 [url]

Jul 28 07 8:48 PM

Fila was wonderful back in the day, if anyone wants to reminisce some more just look for my collection pictures in the sneaker showcase forum!

Rich Yung "West Indies" colorway T-shirt is available in mens size XL right now brand new for $200. I will take offers!

Apocalypz

Registered Member

#14 [url]

Jul 28 07 11:02 PM

Right now in Toronto, I see A LOT of people wearing F-13s. They're making them like AF1s now. A lot of different colourways and such.

TEAMCANADA
Our sales tax will kill you. At least we have free health care!
.:: | TEAM | TORONTO | RAPTORS | ::.
.:: | Bargnani | Bosh | Calderon | Delfino | Dixon | Ford | Garbajosa | ::.
.:: | Graham | Humphries | Jackson | Kapono | Moon | Nesterovic | Parker | ::.

Super Producer J

Registered Member

#16 [url]

Aug 4 07 3:13 AM

:eek :hat

Starbury is headed to Italy in a few. Now we need a more youthier PG.

Real Recognize Real x TEAM [Scrubs]

ninjahood

Registered Member

#19 [url]

Aug 23 07 4:05 AM

well.....

its got a cult followin.....and i heard in da south people can't get enuff of em...

team platano/BLACKMARKET
check out da myspace

teamdecepticon
T R A N S F O R M E R S

Black Racer X

Registered Member

#20 [url]

Aug 23 07 10:22 PM

There were these filas I had in the 3rd grade that I would love to see a picture of. There where dallas mavarick colors, I use to tell people they were the jamal mashburns :lol . They had this grafettti- @#%$ lines going along the midsole.

Also, could someone post a pic of this other Fila shoe that came out around the same time? The one with the purple lace cover....I wanted those so badly.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help