Remove this ad

Lead

May 5 11 9:12 AM

Tags : :

smiley: frown

With student loans and careers being all about experience nowadays...anyone wish they would have just started working or went to a trade school or any other alternative routes...?

I know a lot of unemployed people with ba's, masters etc who are sitting at home (shout-out to the unemployment thread)

If you could do it all over what would you have done differently? If you still would have went to school...would you have chosen a different major?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
avatar

dmagic21

Registered User

Posts: 156

#1 [url]

May 5 11 9:22 AM

Yep I wish I would have acquired my Cdl at 21 instead of 23
I went from making 38k a year with a degree, 11 hours a day,
To 90k a year , just by taking a chance to try something new

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 5 11 9:23 AM

I don't really regret going to college. But I do regret the path I took to get there. I went the community college route. After I transferred to UC, I felt that I missed out on the wild first two years. In high school, I should've stayed on top of that school work, so that I can go straight to a four year.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

May 5 11 9:26 AM

It's all about who you know. Some of my wealthy friends attain jobs/internships at the snap of their fingers, while those less fortunate have to make major sacrifices in competition amongst those who travel an unpaved road.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Jking0821

Registered Member

Posts: 4,625

#4 [url]

May 5 11 9:26 AM

Its 90% about who you know in this world it is sad.

I would have never attended my college (drexel university) in tons of debt still living at home yet I work for NASA.

Got my job through my dad who knew a contractor who hired me and then got converted to a civil servant.  I was like well my finance and accounting degree as well as my experience at T. Rowe Price and Laureate Higher Education must have really been the deciding factor.  Kid i got hired with went to frostburg has a marketing degree....his fiance's dad hired him because he works here......

Quote    Reply   
avatar

1NyceBalla

Registered Member

Posts: 1,647

#5 [url]

May 5 11 9:42 AM

Man the thing about college is, I've actually had to work hard as hell to try and get this degree. Seems like everything else I've done it life was easy but now that im in college im actually trying hard. With that said I dont think I'll ever regret it regardless of what happens when I graduate because I know I busted my hump and actually earned my degree.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

BigPoppaBaker04

Registered Member

Posts: 2,061

#6 [url]

May 5 11 9:56 AM

Had 2 job offers out of college in 2009, still work at both, one full time and part time at the other. My major got me the internship which led to the job but life would be great without student loans. To answer your question, yes I regret going to college. However, would I do it over if given the chance? Probably not, I met a lot of good people, grew up, learned a lot and had a lot of fun. All in all it was just an expensive social experiment for me

Your Signature ...

Quote    Reply   
avatar

sneakaprince

Registered Member

Posts: 3,911

#8 [url]

May 5 11 10:13 AM

BigPoppaBaker04 wrote:
Had 2 job offers out of college in 2009, still work at both, one full time and part time at the other. My major got me the internship which led to the job but life would be great without student loans. To answer your question, yes I regret going to college. However, would I do it over if given the chance? Probably not, I met a lot of good people, grew up, learned a lot and had a lot of fun. All in all it was just an expensive social experiment for me

I seriously regret Grad school right now tho... I should've picked another major

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Furrell.niketalk

Registered Member

Posts: 1,844

#11 [url]

May 5 11 10:31 AM

Why does this thread keep coming up? No one should regret going to college. You earned that degree. The fact is that the market hasn't recovered and isn't expected to fully recover for a few more years. If we had all graduated from school five years ago, no one would feel this way because there were jobs a plenty.

Major has nothing to do with it. You can read the unemployed thread and see that there are engineers that are unemployed. There are people with finance/accounting degrees that are unemployed. There are people with IT degrees that are unemployed.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

Jking0821

Registered Member

Posts: 4,625

#12 [url]

May 5 11 10:37 AM

Furrell wrote:
Why does this thread keep coming up? No one should regret going to college. You earned that degree. The fact is that the market hasn't recovered and isn't expected to fully recover for a few more years. If we had all graduated from school five years ago, no one would feel this way because there were jobs a plenty.

Major has nothing to do with it. You can read the unemployed thread and see that there are engineers that are unemployed. There are people with finance/accounting degrees that are unemployed. There are people with IT degrees that are unemployed.

But i have a job, and I regret it

Quote    Reply   
avatar

joeykadesh.niketalk

Registered Member

Posts: 912

#13 [url]

May 5 11 11:49 AM

Its not about regretting that you went to college, its regretting the degree you pursued...I am glad I went to college, and I am especially glad that I went to a community college first and then a university. I had my wild years in community college, dropped out and came back when I was focused and kicked butt ever since then..If I would have dropped out of a university it would have been mad expensive and they are less forgiving about coming back. Yes I do have loans and debt, but its ok; I rather have that and be able to pay if off instead of working at a dead end job. I know college does not guarantee you a great job, and some people can get great jobs without college degrees..That's all about luck and who you know...But I am glad I went to college because it taught my responsibility and hard work ethics. So to sum up my blabbering, its not about going to college that is the problem, its what you degree you chose when you are there..

Quote    Reply   

Fox5Kobe

Registered Member

Posts: 2,950

#15 [url]

May 5 11 11:54 AM

my original plan was to work and no attend college. My aunts told me not attending college wasnt an option. So I attended college, LOL. Now ima say i didnt make it out alive. Do I regret well of course since my original plan was my original plan but since I attended and I learned what I needed to learn and see what I needed to see which wasnt a lot but enough I can say it was a nice experience. Stay focused on college meaning on schoolwork and most importanly know yourself...

Quote    Reply   
avatar

RJSims.niketalk

Registered Member

Posts: 1,373

#17 [url]

May 5 11 12:17 PM

Don't regret it but I wish I would have just went into the military out of high school.

 I got one in Miami, she mean with a mouth piece   

 She like LeBron, I’m taking my talents down to south beach.
TEAM PENNY
                                                    


Quote    Reply   

bigtomgetsgwap

Registered Member

Posts: 4,338

#19 [url]

May 5 11 12:20 PM

Jking0821 wrote:
Its 90% about who you know in this world it is sad.

I would have never attended my college (drexel university) in tons of debt still living at home yet I work for NASA.

Got my job through my dad who knew a contractor who hired me and then got converted to a civil servant.  I was like well my finance and accounting degree as well as my experience at T. Rowe Price and Laureate Higher Education must have really been the deciding factor.  Kid i got hired with went to frostburg has a marketing degree....his fiance's dad hired him because he works here......

Basically but the when I think on it I ask myself would I kno half the people I know if I didn't go to school....and the answer is NO

So even though I may never use my degree to get a job (Bus. Mang)...I'm sure I will continue to get jobs simply based off the people I have met over the last 5 years 

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help