Remove this ad

avatar

DatZNasty

Registered Member

Posts: 9,820

Lead

Jul 10 10 7:23 PM

Tags : : , ,

I never read these crap articles on the default msn/yahoo homepage, but I thought htis one was interesteing and figured I'd post it to see if anybody has any other input on these locations. It's something to consider.
http://articles.moneycent...month.aspx?page=2[quote]

Retire overseas on $1,200 a month

It's possible to live in luxury on a pauper's budget -- if you're willing to leave the US. Here are 5 places a Social Security check will buy a lifestyle that's at least comfortable.

By Liz Pulliam Weston
MSN Money

Let's get this out of the way right at the start: Retiring abroad isn't for everyone or even for most people.

But the adventurous can find comfortable, even luxurious, lifestyles in many places that cost them far less than what they would pay at home, said Kathleen Peddicord, the author of "How to Retire Overseas: Everything You Need to Know to Live Well (For Less) Abroad."

We asked Peddicord, who has written about living and retiring overseas for more than 25 years, to pick out five cities where a couple could retire comfortably on the typical U.S. Social Security check of $1,200 a month. Access to good medical care is a must, of course, and all five places on Peddicord's list offer it, as well as very low crime rates and emerging communities of expatriates to help show you the ropes.

Retirement reality check

"You wouldn't be the first gringo in town, but (in most cases) you wouldn't be joining an established community of thousands," as in some other cities already discovered by expats, said Peddicord, the publisher of the Live and Invest Overseas group. "The places with the truly established and thriving expat communities are going to be more expensive."

People who are considering retiring abroad need to do their research, because countries vary dramatically in how welcoming they are to foreign nationals who want to become residents. Tax laws vary as well, and most Americans will want to buy health insurance -- either a local plan, which may cost less, or an international plan, which typically offers more-flexible coverage. Peddicord said that in Panama, where her family of four lives, local, or "in country," health plans cost as little as $100 a month but aren't available to people over a certain age (usually early to mid-60s). An international plan with a $3,400 deductible might cost a 60-year-old about $180 a month.

Peddicord's five picks:

Cuenca, Ecuador

Peddicord calls Cuenca "the most affordable place you'd want to live in Latin America." There may be cheaper locales, but in her view they're too far removed from the conveniences and amenities of a city.

Cuenca has the colonial charm of cobblestone streets and soaring cathedrals as well as a mild climate and plenty of cultural happenings. Ecuador uses the U.S. dollar as its currency, so you don't have to worry about disadvantageous exchange rates.

Peddicord has a friend who lives there for less than $1,200 a month, including $550 in rent and fees for a 2,600-square-foot apartment with a doorman and underground parking. If you're willing to make do without those amenities, Peddicord said, you could rent a smaller, 600-square-foot "local"-style apartment in an older building for $100 a month.

If you were to buy a home with cash -- say, from the sale of your current home -- you could live comfortably for $700 a month, including utilities, groceries and entertainment, Peddicord said. Hiring full-time household help would add about $200 to the bill.

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Thousands of expatriate Westerners have discovered the largest city in northern Thailand, where the cost of living is about half that of its better-known (and bigger) rival, Bangkok. Chiang Mai is in a river valley surrounded by mountains, with year-round daytime temperatures in the 80s and 90s.

A comfortable apartment costs about $400 a month, with $150 for utilities (including high-speed Internet, cable TV, telephone and electricity), $100 for groceries, $150 for full-time household help and $150 for entertainment, including eating out (people rave about the food and the variety of restaurants). Foreigners can't own land, although they can own apartments and condos.

Continued: Nicaragua, Panama and Malaysia

Retire overseas on $1,200 a month

Continued from page 1

León, Nicaragua

Like Chiang Mai, León is its country's second-largest city. Like Cuenca, it boasts a large number of colonial-era homes, buildings and churches.

But it hasn't been discovered by expatriates the way nearby Granada has, Peddicord said, which means the cost of living is still low. She said a budget of $1,200 to $1,400 buys a comfortable lifestyle, including $500 to rent a higher-end home. Utilities, including phone, Internet and TV, cost $70, while your food budget would be about $360 and entertainment budget about $200. Full-time household help costs $180.

Become a fan of MSN Money on Facebook
León is a university city known for its bookstores, cafes and museums. Although it's inland, a beach is just 15 miles away. The climate is hot, but temperatures drop in the evenings.

Las Tablas, Panama

If you want oceanfront living, check out Las Tablas, which Peddicord said is a nice little beach town on the Pacific coast of the Azuero Peninsula.

Panama has significant advantages for expats, including the fact that it's a tax haven (even Americans can live there tax-free), the country encourages foreigners to settle there by making it easy to acquire residency, and its infrastructure is well-developed. Those advantages have led to an influx of expats that have helped drive up the cost of living in the nation's biggest city, Panama City, but Las Tablas is still relatively undiscovered.

"There's an emerging community of expats living here, and (Las Tablas has) all services and resources you'd need to live very comfortably," Peddicord said. "Your budget could be as little as $1,000 per month. . . . You can rent a little two-bedroom house within five minutes' walk of the beach for as little as $350 a month."

Utilities average $200 a month and food $300, while $80 is a reasonable entertainment budget. Full-time household help costs $150.

Penang, Malaysia

Peddicord called Malaysia the best option in Asia for full-time retirement living, because it's the only country in Asia that makes it easy for foreign retirees to gain full-time residency.

Income from foreign sources is tax-free, and foreigners are allowed to buy real estate (which isn't a given elsewhere). Malaysia is also determined to become a "first world" country by 2020, which means it's investing in infrastructure, including modern divided highways and convenient airports. Health care is considered good as well, with a thriving trade of "health tourists" who come to save money on surgical procedures and other treatments.

"This country is a melting pot and very international, with good infrastructure and great food," Peddicord said. But Penang is the cheaper of the two big expat centers (the other is Kuala Lumpur). About $1,200 a month "buys a comfortable life here," covering an $800 rental apartment and $100 each for food, utilities and entertainment, Peddicord said. Full-time household help would set you back $130 a month.

Can't imagine retiring outside the United States? Never fear. In an upcoming column I'll highlight five cheap places to retire in the U.S.

Get the latest from Liz Pulliam Weston. Sign up to receive her free weekly newsletter.

Preferred format:

Learn more about newsletters
Liz Pulliam Weston is the Web's most-read personal-finance writer. She is the author of several books, most recently "Your Credit Score: Your Money & What's at Stake." Weston's award-winning columns appear every Monday and Thursday, exclusively on MSN Money. She also answers reader questions on the Your Money message board and helps middle-class families cope at Building a Brighter Future.

Published June 16, 2010

More from MSN Money



[/quote]




Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad
avatar

DatZNasty

Registered Member

Posts: 9,820

#2 [url]

Jul 10 10 7:30 PM

Cuenca, Ecuador
image


Chiang Mai, Thailand
image


Leon, Nicaragua
image

Las Tablas, Panama
image


Penang, Malaysia
image




I've never visited any of these places, so I'd have to do that first but if these numbers are true and I don't feel like I'll be a victim of crime over there or a social outcast because of being a foreigner, I could easily save up 14k (obviously the article is based on waiting until after you retire though and living off that) and just go kick it for a yr big boy style in another country. I wonder how each of these places feel about brothaz though, big tall ones. I know some people who were stationed in Panama and the had nothing but good things to say about it, other than the transvestites. I imagine consumer goods would be cheaper in these places too, particularly Malaysia




Last Edited By: DatZNasty Jul 10 10 7:33 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Master Zik.niketalk

Registered Member

Posts: 12,498

#3 [url]

Jul 10 10 7:31 PM

Buggin. What I look like in Thailand or Panama? One drunken night in a bar with a "girl" my kidneys on the black market or I'm being held for ransom.

Master Zik is A Da GOD. Back from the pits. Risen like Lazarus. xBuddhaBlessx A The Great Destroyer7154 
             Team National Truckers   x Team WolfShi rts   x  TEAM RAW
                    
"Your shirt's too loud......... Take it off"
----------"Its painful how sexy I look in this."     I came out raw, why stop now?

Team Otaku

                               

Quote    Reply   

Hankzilla.niketalk

Registered Member

Posts: 2,033

#10 [url]

Jul 10 10 8:41 PM

Who in hell would want to live in those crappy places? America has so much over those places even if you're planning on retiring. There's too many to list.

Solo Dolo: Just Me, One Man, Holding It Down, All Day, By Myself.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
avatar

GrimlocK.niketalk

Registered Member

Posts: 6,284

#11 [url]

Jul 10 10 8:49 PM

Hankzilla wrote:
Who in hell would want to live in those crappy places? America has so much over those places even if you're planning on retiring. There's too many to list.
I can tell your very young from this post.

You can't call somewhere else crappy if you've never been there.



Every sunrise in Africa a Gazelle wakes up, it knows that it must out run the fastest lion in order to survive. Every sunrise in Africa a Lion wakes up, it knows that it must out run the slowest Gazelle in order to survive. It doesn't matter if you are a Gazelle or a Lion, because when sunrise comes, you better be running.

Struggle to a man's soul is what cold water is to hot steel...it makes it stronger


Quote    Reply   

Hankzilla.niketalk

Registered Member

Posts: 2,033

#13 [url]

Jul 10 10 9:03 PM

GrimlocK wrote:
Hankzilla wrote:
Who in hell would want to live in those crappy places? America has so much over those places even if you're planning on retiring. There's too many to list.
I can tell your very young from this post.

You can't call somewhere else crappy if you've never been there.



Excuse my ignorance but America>anywhere on Earth. If you moved there what would you do? No family, the locals speak diff. language, and most of all diff. culture. This type of thing would only be ideal to someone that wants to experience a new(subpar) way of life.

Solo Dolo: Just Me, One Man, Holding It Down, All Day, By Myself.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

yankee4life12

Registered Member

Posts: 1,779

#14 [url]

Jul 10 10 9:06 PM

Funny that Cuenca, Ecuador is on that list. Just got back from Ecuador 2 weeks ago and I'm saving for my return. There is no reason to ever come back! But as they say, the grass is always greener. So who knows?

Quote    Reply   
avatar

RaY MuLLa.niketalk

Registered Member

Posts: 1,860

#15 [url]

Jul 10 10 9:48 PM

robxdrew wrote:
Master Zik wrote:
Buggin. What I look like in Thailand or Panama? One drunken night in a bar with a "girl" my kidneys on the black market or I'm being held for ransom.

Wow.


T E A M N E W Y O R K K N I C K S 
TEAMYANKEES
NEW YORK GIANTS 

Quote    Reply   
avatar

DatZNasty

Registered Member

Posts: 9,820

#16 [url]

Jul 10 10 9:55 PM

yankee4life12 wrote:
Funny that Cuenca, Ecuador is on that list. Just got back from Ecuador 2 weeks ago and I'm saving for my return. There is no reason to ever come back! But as they say, the grass is always greener. So who knows?

Care to elaborate? Do tell. I've always been interested in Orlando and Miami too to the dude who mentioned it. Just out of boredom, I checked out some mostly condos and apartments on Trulia, @++*! were like walking distance from the beach going for 90k. Some were small relatively, but it was like any other city in the uS small (800 sq ft or so for a 1 bed 1 bath) and not like NYC small (ninjahood size).

Quote    Reply   
avatar

AgentArenas.niketalk

Registered Member

Posts: 3,003

#17 [url]

Jul 10 10 10:01 PM

Hankzilla wrote:
GrimlocK wrote:
Hankzilla wrote:
Who in hell would want to live in those crappy places? America has so much over those places even if you're planning on retiring. There's too many to list.
I can tell your very young from this post.

You can't call somewhere else crappy if you've never been there.



Excuse my ignorance but America>anywhere on Earth. If you moved there what would you do? No family, the locals speak diff. language, and most of all diff. culture. This type of thing would only be ideal to someone that wants to experience a new(subpar) way of life.



Prime example of why Americans are despised in many other countries.

UMIAMIHEAT
RILEY KNOWS

Quote    Reply   
avatar

AgentArenas.niketalk

Registered Member

Posts: 3,003

#18 [url]

Jul 10 10 10:05 PM

DatZNasty wrote:
yankee4life12 wrote:
Funny that Cuenca, Ecuador is on that list. Just got back from Ecuador 2 weeks ago and I'm saving for my return. There is no reason to ever come back! But as they say, the grass is always greener. So who knows?

Care to elaborate? Do tell. I've always been interested in Orlando and Miami too to the dude who mentioned it. Just out of boredom, I checked out some mostly condos and apartments on Trulia, @++*! were like walking distance from the beach going for 90k. Some were small relatively, but it was like any other city in the uS small (800 sq ft or so for a 1 bed 1 bath) and not like NYC small (ninjahood size).

Miami is expensive and the people here are a new level of rude. Really depends on the person as to whether or not they can enjoy/handle Miami. A lot of people I know from places like Tampa or Orlando HATE this place.

UMIAMIHEAT
RILEY KNOWS

Quote    Reply   
avatar

JJGRT5.niketalk

Registered Member

Posts: 1,335

#19 [url]

Jul 10 10 10:22 PM

AgentArenas wrote:
Hankzilla wrote:
GrimlocK wrote:
Hankzilla wrote:
Who in hell would want to live in those crappy places? America has so much over those places even if you're planning on retiring. There's too many to list.
I can tell your very young from this post.

You can't call somewhere else crappy if you've never been there.



Excuse my ignorance but America>anywhere on Earth. If you moved there what would you do? No family, the locals speak diff. language, and most of all diff. culture. This type of thing would only be ideal to someone that wants to experience a new(subpar) way of life.



Prime example of why Americans are despised in many other countries.



EQUIPO FURIA ROJA 
EQUIPO FC BARCELONA

Quote    Reply   
avatar

DatZNasty

Registered Member

Posts: 9,820

#20 [url]

Jul 10 10 10:23 PM

AgentArenas wrote:
DatZNasty wrote:
yankee4life12 wrote:
Funny that Cuenca, Ecuador is on that list. Just got back from Ecuador 2 weeks ago and I'm saving for my return. There is no reason to ever come back! But as they say, the grass is always greener. So who knows?

Care to elaborate? Do tell. I've always been interested in Orlando and Miami too to the dude who mentioned it. Just out of boredom, I checked out some mostly condos and apartments on Trulia, @++*! were like walking distance from the beach going for 90k. Some were small relatively, but it was like any other city in the uS small (800 sq ft or so for a 1 bed 1 bath) and not like NYC small (ninjahood size).

Miami is expensive and the people here are a new level of rude. Really depends on the person as to whether or not they can enjoy/handle Miami. A lot of people I know from places like Tampa or Orlando HATE this place.
I'm from Oklahoma, trying to move somewhere bigger, probably still hot weather, and decent cost of living, and like at least 10% black people. But like look at these listings, do these seem real? I mean other than the fact it's an online listing and probably not going to look as nice in person as it does in the photos, but can I really catch a condo for under 100k like this? Rude people, I am an introvert so wouldn't bother me 1 bit. I'm just scared of crime because I ain't bout that life, I'm from the burbs.
http://www.trulia.com/pro...th-St-102-Miami-FL-33181
http://www.trulia.com/pro...512-Miami-FL-33138 
http://www.trulia.com/pro...h-Ter-506-Miami-FL-33133



Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help