Remove this ad

Truballa72189

Lead

Feb 13 09 2:13 AM

Tags : :

Hey so I decided I want to start dressing better since I am now a sophomore business major in college and usually go to class wearing sweats and a hoody. I feel like as a respectable business man I'll have to dress the part, so although I do not want to start wearing suits to class or anything, I do want to start "dressing up" a little more. The only problem is that I don't know where to start. My wardrobe now consists primarily of plain t-shirts, hoodies, a ton of Jordan stuff (sweatpants, hoodies, 60 pairs of shoes) and I want to gradually start wearing nicer clothes. At first I bought a few Burberry polo shirts, because I want to dress nice, but not just fit in with everybody else. I also subscribed to GQ to try to get some fashion tips. I was just wondering what the next step should be....button up shirts? nice pants/jeans? My roommate said to start with one outfit and work from there, but I just wanted to see if anybody else had any opinions on what to buy, and any reccomendations about this subject at all. Basically, I just want to dress nicer and stand out...where do I start? Thanks in advance!
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

sStutter

Registered Member

#3 [url]

Feb 13 09 2:17 AM

Dress shirts or just casual long sleeve button-up shirts, lots and lots of sweaters, lots and lots of polos, a few ties, khakis or dressy jeans (minimal fade, no holes, etc.), maybe a few blazers, maybe some loafers

I would start out with polo/nice jeans or dress shirt/sweater/nice jeans.

Quote    Reply   

RFX45

Registered Member

#6 [url]

Feb 13 09 4:53 AM

It is all about how the clothes fit, i cannot stress that enough.

Anyways, you need to start with some khaki's or chino's, nothing baggy and no boot cut.
Darker chino's are versatile as well.
Real dark jeans, with a tapered bottom works too.
imageimageimage

You need some non-bulky casual shoe, ie: Jack Purcell's or Stan Smith's. I particularly like how versatile Clarks Desert boot are.

Get some brown shoes, enough said.

imageimageimage

Invest in a quality white dress shirt and blue oxford. Trust me, it will get a lot of wear and just plain awesome.
Striped sportshirts couldn't hurt either. Do not forget to tuck it in when appropriate.
imageimageimage

Some V-Neck sweaters or a cardigan, take a pick.
imageimageimage

A navy sportcoat is optional. Pea coats are a good option for cold weathers too.
imageimageimage

A nice belt to match the shoes wouldn't hurt either, although at times, a beltless chino could look real good.
imageimageimage

Don't forget the nice socks.
A9xa 800e F08 SA9xa 800e F18 EA8xa 800e F08 E

Some nice knitted ties to keep it casual.
A9xa Ktie Strp1 LA9xa Ktie Mstrp LA9xa Ktie Sspt N

I intentionally left out polo's to change it up a bit.
Time to move up a bit from polos, trust me.

None of you understand.
I'm not locked up here with you.

You're locked up in here with me.

Quote    Reply   

wj4

Registered Member

#7 [url]

Feb 13 09 5:00 AM

+1 on what RFX said. I would like to add by saying...buy quality items that fit you nicely, don't just go for the brand name. The only thing I can't rock from RFX's pix are the boots.

Edit: For the jeans to be worn casually, I think it's best to get a pair with 'blank' back pockets. That means no designs or embroidered stuff at all. I'm not sure what your body build is, but try the usual stores to see which fits you the best...Express, Banana Republic, J. Crew, Macys.

Dressing nice doesn't have to break the bank either. Getting 'regular' brands that fit you nicely is a 1000x better than having a Gucci polo that fits sloppy.

Fashion/Style Blog:  wisith.tumblr.com
Marketing Blog:  http://dailymarket.tumblr.com/
Team Fitness
Put down the 6 pack to get a 6 pack

Last Edited By: wj4 Feb 13 09 5:03 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

RFX45

Registered Member

#8 [url]

Feb 13 09 5:02 AM

Come on, boots are awesome. The right boots can be dressed up or dressed down.

None of you understand.
I'm not locked up here with you.

You're locked up in here with me.

Quote    Reply   

AC4Three

Registered Member

#9 [url]

Feb 13 09 5:03 AM

Sweats are perfectly acceptable at school, but it's a good idea to start getting some nicer clothes. I recommend Banana Republic for clothing, and invest in some nice shoes from Nordstrom or a similar store.

When your girl don't call you when you beep her
and you hit it and her thing feel deeper...
Say my name

-Team RealTalk™-

Quote    Reply   

wj4

Registered Member

#10 [url]

Feb 13 09 5:07 AM

RFX45 wrote:
Come on, boots are awesome. image The right boots can be dressed up or dressed down.
I'm going to rock them with plaid shorts and white v-neck t's in the summer so I can be doing it. As far as casual sneakers go, I'm also a huge fan of Rockport and Cole Haan. I had a pair of Rocky that I swore by when working at Circuit City. That pair was cheaper and outlasted any other casual sneakers I've worn in my 2+ years there. Diesels being the worst, they wear down so fast and not that comfy after several hours.

The downside about dressing like this everyday is that if you don't dry clean your stuff, you're going to spend a lot of time ironing/steaming.

Team Fitness

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

FreezeTag.niketalk

Registered Member

#16 [url]

Feb 13 09 5:15 AM

If your a struggling college student like most people, Banana Repulic and Macy's will kill your pockets. Don't be ashamed to try Old Navy or Gap, they have cheap nice clothes.

"Living street tales worthy of Don Divas...KIs in da floor, mistress in Dior
Chick tell me she love me, but I know she's a *****...it could get ugly, cause she talk to da Lord
Thats just what I get, its da roses of war"

Quote    Reply   

wj4

Registered Member

#17 [url]

Feb 13 09 5:21 AM

FreezeTag wrote:
If your a struggling college student like most people, Banana Repulic and Macy's will kill your pockets. Don't be ashamed to try Old Navy or Gap, they have cheap nice clothes.
Just wait for sales. Macy's often have ridiculously discounted sales. I went to get some wife beaters today at the local Macys and saw several pairs of slacks that were $98 discounted to around $25-30. Banana Republic also has a lot of good sales. They had that $50 off every $100 spent not too long ago. I have stuff from BR and Gap..the difference in quality is definitely noticeable. I haven't paid retail for 99% of my clothes since high school personally.

Team Fitness

Quote    Reply   

nycknicks105

Registered Member

#18 [url]

Feb 13 09 5:30 AM

I got only thing to say to you sir.

J.Crew.

G | 4L8O15S16T23!42 | T E A M N E W Y O R K K N I C K S | Novus Ordo Seclorum | TUMBLR
My DS EGGPLANT FOAMS (9.5) for your DS or VNDS sz 9 or 9.5 Neon Royal Foams (07's or HoH's) or HoH Dark Army Foams

Quote    Reply   

brettTHEjett

Registered Member

#19 [url]

Feb 13 09 5:32 AM

To start off... assuming you are on a student budget.
-1 pair of clae or clarks shoes. Use your discretion... keep in mind aside from your jays this is your everyday pair of shoes. so dark colors tend to fit with anything.
-1 pair of adidas superstars or stan smiths (WHITE ON WHITE). this is casual classy at its finest and works with everything.
-2 dark denim and 2 khaki. You shouldn't need to spend more the $60/each on your first khakis.. step your 'game' up after you have a foundation. dry denim works with anything, and you can wear almost everyday!
- ~5-10 blank tees. You can look and feel sophisticated with a white tee, dark jeans and white stan smiths. I usually wear a black teeshirt 4/5 work days a week. yes it's boring, but its neutral and cheap.

eventually start purchasing:
-long sleeve crew necks. I purchased a couple from Jack Jones for like 40 euros i think. classy..casual
-leather dress shoes. COMPLETELY avoid square toe. don't be shy of getting pointed toe shoes. it's hella classy if you pull it off. it shows you are a 'step' abover aldo haha
-sport shirts. don't cheap out. I purchased 3 Hugo Boss sport shirts for ~$200-$300 each for when I have meetings or go out to clubs. I buy one a month or two months to keep it continuing.

Just remember. be simple and don't try to 'stunt'. you ARE a student. begin with a foundation and build on that.

I HATE when kids buy 1 polo pull over and gucci this and that but wear the same gear every day. tsk tsk you are not impressing anyone

BRETTS TWITTER
**SIMPING: to accomplish only through striving cannot be considered an accomplishment at all**

Quote    Reply   

brettTHEjett

Registered Member

#20 [url]

Feb 13 09 5:33 AM

I should also mention.

GAP and old navy are your friends as previously mentioned. you can get quality, simple gear to start off with.

black socks too. always

BRETTS TWITTER
**SIMPING: to accomplish only through striving cannot be considered an accomplishment at all**

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help