Remove this ad

ONEFORALL.niketalk

Registered Member

#61 [url]

Dec 13 11 6:07 PM

Well this would apply to Finland better than in US. I think. We have pretty good school system and even the poor get the same treatment than everybody else because education is free. There aren't any rich kids or poor kids schools in Finland.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

MrDoeBoI.niketalk

Registered Member

#63 [url]

Dec 13 11 7:32 PM

I can't agree with that guy he's on the outside looking in . It's easy to say what you would do when you got already. He's not putting in the fact that you live in the damn hood and gotta adapt to your surroundings. Police,Drugs,Guns, and Goons in abundance. Teenagers turning to the streets for guidance because theirs no role model in the house. Mother working hard and barely still making it always late with bills. Kids turning to the streets to make some $ to ease the burden and assist with the bills.

Quote    Reply   

MonStar1.niketalk

Registered Member

#65 [url]

Dec 13 11 7:48 PM

famenycity1 wrote:
MonStar1 wrote:
Man.....man this article got me heated.  It just shows the naive and arrogance of some people mainly upper/middle class whites.

This man doesn't realize that kids don't raise themselves.  He fails to realize that in these "poor black" environments there are little to no positive role models and father figures.  All this dude needs to do is watch "The Wire" season with the boys.  Hell all he has to do watch the 1st season and look at how my dude Wallace was living.  That might be an extreme example but Mr.Forbes doesn't understand the reality of these environments.

Basically every "poor black" kid should have the determination of a scholar. Basically every "poor black" kid should teach themself how to read, write, speak, and network.  They should ignore girls, sports, video games, drugs, and other distractions and have study groups in libraries.  smiley: laugh C'mon man normal kids don't do that.  Not white or black. Not poor or rich.  Like somebody said it just shows how uneven the playing field is.  Just think about it like this.

Middle class white kids can be normal kids and still end up having a decent life

Poor blacks can't be normal kids and still end up having a decent life because of all the factors they are born into.  It will take a Tebow-esqe effort to rise from the negative environment.  They must get 4.0 gpas, academic scholarships, stay out of trouble, and teach themself from a young age that everything they see isn't right and they should strive to become something they rarely see....a positive black man with a degree and career.

Sounds about fair...
why do they rarely see a positive black man with a degree and a career?
why do "poor black kids" have to have someone right in front of their eyes to steer them the right way...

every kid in harlem see's Vado and are spending all their time hustling to buy that fresh Polo gear, why aren't these kids looking at Chris Gardner and wanting to be like him.

he is the perfect example, no college, no positive role model, in and out of foster care... all he did was work hard, really really hard. he had no luck, but we are the framers of our own future and he framed his....

he studied hard while raising a young child and homeless.... are you trying to tell me that kids in the inner city cannot pick up a book and put down their phones?

C'mon son.....

You are joking right smiley: laughsmiley: roll

Go ask the majority of doctors, lawyers, business owners, and very successful people. Hell even add in teachers and military.  For the most part they've had a role model very close to them that has guided them.  Parent, uncle, family friend, or guidance counselor ....These inner city kids aspire to be rappers, athletes, hustlers, etc. because for alot of kids thats what they see.  They see Calvin go to college because he can hoop, that's a real person accomplishing a real goal.  You don't see kids in the inner city wanting to be doctors or have white collar jobs because they are seeing these people in real life. 

If you can see something it makes you believe you can acheive it. It also gives you the ability to see the steps involved to reaching that goal.  People do what they know.  It's human nature.  It just so happens alot of upperclass people know money and they are already a leg up. 

Stop giving us these amazing Negro stories of Jamal rising from the ashes and raising all his brothers while working 4 jobs and getting his PhD in 1 semester.  smiley: laugh  Those are great stories of amazing determination but 1) it shouldn't take all that 2) that's not the normal for any race so why tell all blacks to be like that?

Pretty much you are saying all athletes should have the drive, dedication to the game, and ability as Michael Jordan and Kobe.  C'mon people are human and its not going to happen.

Quote    Reply   

iBlink.niketalk

Registered Member

#66 [url]

Dec 13 11 7:53 PM

It's easy for him to look at the situation of a poor black kid ad say what he would do, because he has an omniscient viewpoint. It's like watching a movie and saying what you'd have done differently.

Quote    Reply   

TheGr8BlkHope

Registered Member

#68 [url]

Dec 13 11 7:55 PM

Having a discussion about this article on FB now...my response is italicized:

I just typed out a long response to this but it doesn't fit so I picked out the questions Id ask the author...What’s Google Scholars solution to “I didn’t eat tonight because we don’t have any food.”? On what page does Sparknotes talk about why I have to sleep UNDER my bed because people are outside shooting at each other? Can I use Skype to talk to my dad who I’ve began to believe doesn’t love me because he doesn’t come around? Maybe it can help me see my mom who has been at work for the past 12 hours so she can make the rent and the %#%*#@ landlord doesn’t leave an eviction notice on the door…again. It's about survival to these kids, they can have 4.0s and if they see Ray Ray on the block with the all the cash, eating good...livin' "good" it makes perfect sense for them to want to be like him and forget about Ms. Jones homework. Ill admit I skimmed the article because I could smell the "if you work hard, you'll get good results." thesis coming from 29miles away. If the author did actually answer these questions, just forget I said anything.

now to continue on...
I went to college, graduated with an honors diploma but those situations up there are mine. I went to bed hungry many nights, barely talked to my dad and witnessed my mom cry on more occasions than I care to remember because she didn't have money for rent/food/presents...the only reason I didn't get lost in the streets was because I was SOFT. I was scared to fight, scared to go to jail, scared to carry a gun/drugs; so I went to school hoping, praying that one day it'd all pay off. It ended up paying off IMO because I'm doing just fine now. But can you fault ALL of those kids who fall into the "cycle?" It's easy to dismiss them as lazy and quitters; and some of them are. But what about the one's who are doing it to feed their siblings/kids? The landlord doesn't care about my 4.0, he wants his $400 a month...$%%# a gradecard.

Blanket mentalities like this is what upsets me...the only reason I got into college is because I bumped into a guy and asked him, half jokingly to hook me up with some scholarship money. He took out a piece of paper and told me to write 2 paragraphs about myself, ended up getting a full ride to school. What about those who dont get so lucky? Do they get outcast-ed as lazy?

Im upset so Im gonna go play COD (PSN: thegr8blkhope) and blow off some steam...I'll leave with this statement from someone else:

"If I was a middle class middle age white guy, I would not write this %%@$...because I would have no idea what it is like to be a poor black kid."

Quote    Reply   

Scientific Method

Registered Member

#69 [url]

Dec 13 11 8:20 PM

When I was in school there was literally 1000's of special programs and scholarships for "underprivileged" which I could never get because my Dad was in the Army. Schools would love to have you and contrary to what homie with the Above The Rim avy said, will take you with LESSER qualifications than what everyone else would have to have. "O.K Promise" scholarship only required one to maintain a C average and then after graduation could go to any state school free + with grants for books and life expenses.

At some point you have to stop making excuses and do better, acting like white people just roll out the womb with a trust fund, college degree, and 6 figures in the bank, and heir to the Ford fortune.

Dudes want to claim they don't have internet or tv access, yet they are all over Twitter, Worldstar, youtube, Oovoo, and the like; want to claim D. Whiteman rigged the system for them to fail, but then can't answer why black women have figured it out as it relates to school, incarceration, and employment in fact at a deviation from black men that is the highest among all races; get all super defensive at mere mention of "self responsibility," because all these "Black leaders" love to try to outdo themselves on the millions of different ways they can see, "No black person should ever be held accountable for their own actions, it's all D. Whiteman's fault," and the amount of things they can blame on "him" like we're some sort of drones and he has the joystick.

I can't even imagine how bad it will be by the time I am ready to retire. Everything is trending negative at alarming rates whether it's incarceration, aids, other health related phenomena, [lack of] graduation rates, wetlock children, etc.

People who braved getting attacked by dogs to go to school have to be rolling over in their grave that we can't even get half of our men to finish.

Something has to happen.

Quote    Reply   

Weekz.niketalk

Registered Member

#70 [url]

Dec 13 11 8:20 PM

I think you guys are missing the point. He linked all the self help websites for a reason. He is offering suggestions and putting them on the net so people can take advantage of them. He has put tons of resources into one location for these kids and their parents to take advantage of. Yes, the story was naive. The motive however isn't to say what he would do but offering up something of what you can do to help yourself if you come from that area.
I'm black if it matters.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

MonStar1.niketalk

Registered Member

#73 [url]

Dec 13 11 8:35 PM

Scientific Method wrote:
When I was in school there was literally 1000's of special programs and scholarships for "underprivileged" which I could never get because my Dad was in the Army. Schools would love to have you and contrary to what homie with the Above The Rim avy said, will take you with LESSER qualifications than what everyone else would have to have. "O.K Promise" scholarship only required one to maintain a C average and then after graduation could go to any state school free + with grants for books and life expenses.

At some point you have to stop making excuses and do better, acting like white people just roll out the womb with a trust fund, college degree, and 6 figures in the bank, and heir to the Ford fortune.

Dudes want to claim they don't have internet or tv access, yet they are all over Twitter, Worldstar, youtube, Oovoo, and the like; want to claim D. Whiteman rigged the system for them to fail, but then can't answer why black women have figured it out as it relates to school, incarceration, and employment in fact at a deviation from black men that is the highest among all races; get all super defensive at mere mention of "self responsibility," because all these "Black leaders" love to try to outdo themselves on the millions of different ways they can see, "No black person should ever be held accountable for their own actions, it's all D. Whiteman's fault," and the amount of things they can blame on "him" like we're some sort of drones and he has the joystick.

I can't even imagine how bad it will be by the time I am ready to retire. Everything is trending negative at alarming rates whether it's incarceration, aids, other health related phenomena, [lack of] graduation rates, wetlock children, etc.

People who braved getting attacked by dogs to go to school have to be rolling over in their grave that we can't even get half of our men to finish.

Something has to happen.

When did I say that wasn't true? Of course there are programs out there

Dudes can go back and forth all day about this topic but the problem isn't "laziness" the problem is "the lack of value in education" combined with socioeconomical problems.  This guy in his article said what he would do if he was a "poor black kid" but what about the "poor black parent".  Kids can't teach themselves everything especially ones that come from damaged backgrounds in the inner cities.  If your generations deep into wellfare and nobody in your family has a even thought about college how can you magically say "hey I'm going to become straight A student and basically block out my environment and forget all the bad habits and traits I've picked up over the years from not only my neighborhood but my own family". 

I'm just floored by the smug mentality that many of you have.  Maybe some of you are too young or too sheltered or maybe in some cases too unrealistic. 

Quote    Reply   

Scientific Method

Registered Member

#74 [url]

Dec 13 11 8:40 PM

I'm floored by the defeatist, responsibility- shirking, supporting and enabling of failure, mentality so many have developed. We have a built in, permanent crutch though so it makes it easy.

Quote    Reply   

goldenchild9.niketalk

Registered Member

#75 [url]

Dec 13 11 8:43 PM

Scientific Method wrote:
I'm floored by the defeatist, responsibility- shirking, supporting and enabling of failure, mentality so many have developed. We have a built in, permanent crutch though so it makes it easy.

Son...you're as sheltered as the writer.

I'm not even personally attacking but your Clarence Thomas crusade is really irritating and borderline offensive to those of us that are really from the bottom. 

Quote    Reply   

nawlinsjunkie.niketalk

Registered Member

#76 [url]

Dec 13 11 8:45 PM

MonStar1 wrote:
Scientific Method wrote:

Something has to happen.

When did I say that wasn't true? Of course there are programs out there

Dudes can go back and forth all day about this topic but the problem isn't "laziness" the problem is "the lack of value in education" combined with socioeconomical problems.  This guy in his article said what he would do if he was a "poor black kid" but what about the "poor black parent".  Kids can't teach themselves everything especially ones that come from damaged backgrounds in the inner cities.  If your generations deep into wellfare and nobody in your family has a even thought about college how can you magically say "hey I'm going to become straight A student and basically block out my environment and forget all the bad habits and traits I've picked up over the years from not only my neighborhood but my own family". 

I'm just floored by the smug mentality that many of you have.  Maybe some of you are too young or too sheltered or maybe in some cases too unrealistic. 

Again, school is NOT hard and there is ZERO excuse for failing high school. Proof of that is the large number of dumb @#$@$ who can barely read and make it to college even without playing sports. To get into even the worst colleges you need something like a 2.5, which is pretty much guaranteed if you show up to class and get an A in physical education smiley: sick smiley: laugh I mean, all you have to do is some easy @#$ homework; you can bomb tests and still get a GPA good enough to graduate. You don't have to be a straight A student smiley: laugh Stop setting the bar so low for yourselves

I have personally seen many kids who live in shacks, with parents who work as shoe shiners, maids (who are basically slaves with how little they get paid), etc going to school and being committed to their education in India and China. I GUARANTEE they live far worse off than what some of you call "the bottom" smiley: roll

Last Edited By: nawlinsjunkie Dec 13 11 8:52 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#77 [url]

Dec 13 11 8:56 PM

If the last thing even a rich affluent white kid is thinking about is khan academy, what makes the writer think a poor black kid is going to take advantage of that kind of material.

The writer is implying that the rich black kid is going to be more hungry for success from the nature of which he is brought up. If that was the case his upbringings would be that of the rich and prosperous. One can argue the factors are due to oppression, but that stems from cognitive dissonance. 

Quote    Reply   

abeautifulhaze

Registered Member

#78 [url]

Dec 13 11 9:02 PM

Thats my building and Kurt was like family to me, lived a floor beneath my family and I watched him grow up from a child to a young man.

He did everything in his power to make it out the hood and he was on the fast track to success. Most humble and nice kid you could ever meet...the one night a friend, home from college, begs his mother to let him go to a party for the holiday weekend and his life is cut short.

This is our reality. The odds are heavily stacked against us. Season after season, year after year I watch young geniuses and super talent kids around me get crushed by the pressure of a�vicious�and unforgiving system.

Boyz in the Hood is entertainment to some of y'all but its real life to too many of us.

R.I.P. Kurt.

Quote    Reply   

#79 [url]

Dec 13 11 9:13 PM

goldenchild9 wrote:
Scientific Method wrote:

Son...you're as sheltered as the writer.

I'm not even personally attacking but your Clarence Thomas crusade is really irritating and borderline offensive to those of us that are really from the bottom. 

The cold reality is someone has to be at the bottom and as much as it stings to the spirits of those who are, thats life. 

Everyone can't be equal, just ask the Soviet Union how that worked out. Perhaps North Korea can enlighten us on equality.

Vita est Vita

Quote    Reply   

Scientific Method

Registered Member

#80 [url]

Dec 13 11 9:23 PM

Go ahead. Personal attacks do not bother me 1 bit, didn't when you tried in the other thread either.

Maybe I should put it in an Aaron MacGruder cartoon, or any black comedian's routine. Then everyone would like and nod like, "haha yep, yep, true, i know people just like that." If anything is offensive, it's the perceived inferiority these so called leaders project and the degree to which everyone just accepts it as true; that everyone else is just innately that much better.

Are black people really that susceptible to be manipulated that D. Whiteman can just "introduce" things into the community to be antonymous to any sort of progress at a whim? I think not, but apparently I'm wrong for that. Dudes on here have literally posted that if they get pregnant and drop out, it's the white man's fault, and no not a white man being involved directly in anyway. Just "the" white man.

I have personally seen many kids who live in shacks, with parents who work as shoe shiners, maids (who are basically slaves with how little they get paid), etc going to school and being committed to their education in India and China. I GUARANTEE they live far worse off than what some of you call "the bottom" smiley: roll
I know people who came over here with nothing, perhaps less because they didn't even speak the language at the time, and made something of their lives within one generation and then where even able to go back to whatever 3rd world country home is and get more.

All this talk about white people and how great they are, to be used as a measuring stick for success, average white man only makes $32,500. Asian immigrants out earn them. African, particularly the English speaking countries like Nigeria, out earn them.

Maybe the start is to cease the hero worship of the white man

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help